Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Why Do I Study the Bible?

"I will meditate on Your precepts and regard Your ways. I shall delight in Your statutes; I shall not forget Your word. We have been approved by God to be entrusted with the gospel, so we speak, not as pleasing men, but God who examines our hearts. Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth. Psalm 119:15-16; 1 Thessalonians 2:3-5; 2 Timothy 2:15 (NASB)

Why Do I Study the Bible?

Before my sons were born, my father died suddenly. My first look at him lying in the casket prompted this thought. That is not my dad. My dad is with Jesus.

I felt happy for Dad, then panicked. His brain is gone and so is everything he learned about the Bible!

A soft voice whispered to my heart, "That knowledge has not vanished. It's in your Bible and you can know it for yourself."

While married, I joined a Precept Bible study. The inductive study method provided the tools I needed to know how to explore God's Word for myself. Like Daddy, I now found my greatest passion was to search the pages of the Bible discovering exciting spiritual truths.

I love to study God's Word. It provides wisdom, guidance and inspiration. The more I study, the less I know and the more I want to know God.

People say that the Bible has little application our daily lives, pointing to ritual uncleanness, animal sacrifices, stoning adulterers, not eating shrimp, and Baal and Molech idol worship.

I've seen some use the Bible to debate and prove their pet theologies. I've been disappointed by some who teach God's Word, but don't observe his commandments.

Others use science to disprove the Bible. The Bible is more than an "ology"—the organized study of science.

It is life.

I study Scripture because I want to know what I believe and why. And it's enjoyable.

When betrayed by others, I was desperate for comfort and encouragement. I turned to God's Word.

Scripture answers many questions that I pose to God:

  • God, who do you say you are?
  • God, who do you say I am?
  • God, what do you say you will do?
  • God, what do you say I am to do?

I was mentored by a famous author who told me, "I read through the Bible every year." More obvious to me was how the Bible went through her. When I asked her advice, it was the opposite of what I'd normally do. When I did what she said, it worked.

I want to know how the reality and truth of the Bible works in my life. When asked then I can share timeless truths to encourage and comfort others.

No comments:

Post a Comment