Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Exit Points

"How precious also are Your thoughts to me, O God! How vast is the sum of them! If I should count them, they would outnumber the sand. Many, O LORD my God, are the wonders which You have done, and Your thoughts toward me; There is none to compare with You. If I would declare and speak of them, they would be too numerous to count." Psalms 139:16-17; 40:5. (NASB)

Exit Points

How many times has parenting in the solo-parent fast lane made me want to kick back and take the nearest exit ramp? Probably way too many to count.

One guy wanted me to take his exit. My workload prevented me from even thinking about dating him. I did not have enough time for myself, much less my sons. At first, his invitations tempted me to step away from my grinding responsibilities.

But…he kept calling and insisting in a stalky kind of way, then arguing that I go out with him. (That in itself was a good reason not to spend time with him.) No amount of explaining appeased him.

Every phone call attempted to convince me that going out with him was a good thing for me: "You deserve a break. You need time to yourself. Blah, blah, blah."

I quit taking his calls.

His initial charming allure and offer for a fun break was no different from other tempting exit ramps in life. Exit points offer choices, pleading "Take me. Take me." As a single mom, my sense of priorities directed me to pour my energy, abilities and resources into what was most crucial to my sons' and our survival and my spiritual wellbeing.

I'm so glad that God's pursuit of relationship with me isn't pushy. When I veer off course or snub my heavenly Father's advances, God does not exit in a huff. He faithfully waits. His unconditional love persuades me to connect with him. And he's never too busy or stressed out to meet me where I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment