Thursday, July 23, 2009

The Most Trusted Man in America

"The LORD is my strength and my shield; My heart trusts in Him, and I am helped; Therefore my heart exults, And with my song I shall thank Him."— Psalm 28:7

The Most Trusted Man

in America

Legendary news anchor Walter Cronkite died. Accolades poured from around the world through my TV screen for "the most trusted man in America." Mr. Cronkite helped guide viewers nationwide through the Vietnam War, the civil rights movement, the moon landing, the Watergate scandal, and other momentous news events.

At Cronkite's memorial service, the "60 Minutes" commentator, Andy Rooney said, "Walter was such a good friend."

Cronkite's former executive producer Sanford Socolow said, "He always lived by the wire service adage: 'Get it first, but get it right.' "

Mike Ashford, a longtime friend, said, "I was often asked, 'What he's really like?' And I would always answer, 'He's just the way you hope he is.' "

It makes me wonder why we admire mortal men so much and ignore immortal God. What would happen if our TV screens featured longtime friends of God singing his praises and telling us 24/7 what God is like. Too bad the media fails to "Get it first, but get it right" about my dear friend, the Lord my strength. My heart trusts in Him who guides me through tragedy, scandal and all momentous life events.

"And that's the way it is."

No comments:

Post a Comment