Monday, July 6, 2009

Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep

"Do not worry then, saying, 'What will we eat?' or 'What will we drink?' or 'What will we wear for clothing?' For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."—Matthew 6:31–34 (NASB)

Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep

As a child, I recited the classic 18th century children's prayer—

Now I lay me down to sleep,

I pray the Lord my soul to keep;

Should I die before I wake,

I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Instead of inspiring trust in God, I worried, Will I die tonight?

My worry wart sprouted years ago. So why do I fear imaginary things that will never happen?

Facts reveal:

  • 40% percent of the things people worry about will never occur
  • 30% of the things people worry about are things that have already happened
  • 12% of all worries have to do with unnecessary imaginings about health
  • 10% of worries are about what other people think
  • 92% of my worries, I can't control. That leaves 8% for legitimate concerns to solve.

What Did I Worry about

This Time Last Year?

I have no clue. Whatever it was, it worked itself out. Today is the tomorrow I worried about yesterday. If I keep this up, how many years will I lose to worrying. Jesus said,"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?" How do I deal with worry?

  • Laugh. I turn my worry into humor. Sir Winston Churchill said, "When I look back on all the worries I remember the story of the old man who said on his deathbed that he had a lot of trouble in his life, most of which never happened."
  • Exercise My Mind and Body. If you fall exhausted into bed at night, you'll be too tired to stay awake and worry.
  • Redirect My Focus on Today's Joys. Worrying saps my strength, making me more dissatisfied about life. I love Mark Twain's advice, "Drag your thoughts away from your troubles...by the ears, by the heels, or any other way you can manage it."
  • Can't Sleep? Get Up! Do something, anything. When sleep eludes me, I read a book or the Bible. That puts many people to sleep.
  • Eat Chocolate and Smile.
  • Walk in the Sun. Enjoy spring flowers, autumn leaves, winter snow, and the summer butterflies.
  • Resign as the Controller of My Universe. Trust God.
  • Take One Day at a Time. Looking back over my years as a single mother, I survived every burden, one day at a time.
  • Don't Be Afraid of Tomorrow. God is already there. Turn your worries over to God. He'll be up all night anyway. Snuggle up to faith. It makes a comfortable pillow.

No comments:

Post a Comment