Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Who Is My Role Model?

"You, however, continue in the things you have learned and become convinced of, knowing from whom you have learned them, and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work." — 2 Timothy 3:14-17 (NASB)

Who Is My Role Model?

When propelled into single parenthood, my friends and associates were married. As a newly-singled mother, I needed the hope and assurance that my children would turn out okay. So I looked for insight from adult children from single-parent homes. I desperately wanted to know how to parent my sons. I wanted to pattern my parenting after others who successfully raised healthy, productive children. To circumvent avoidable missteps, I also carefully evaluated the lives of solo parents who failed.

I took to heart "What my mom did right and wrong" tips. These adult children talked about their moms' sacrifices, support and encouragement. What stood out to me was that they respected their moms' integrity, character and faith. Often, I thought their moms were saints or superwomen. I wish I could say that I lived and acted my best every day, but I didn't. Stress and exhaustion took its toll.

Character and commitment to my children and God helped me take one day at a time during my darkest, saddest hours. Even when I felt like giving up, the examples of other single parents gave me hope that my children and I'd make it too. When my footsteps faltered, I still desired to follow in God's footprints. And, when I felt depressed and discouraged I mustered up my courage to trust God.

No comments:

Post a Comment